- You do not need an attorney to file a small claims case; however, if you do not retain one, you assume ALL RESPONSIBILITY of the filing of your claim.
- The form for filing a small claim is available here.
- The small claims limit is $3,000.00.
- A filing fee is required at the time of filing. See the Civil Costs Schedule to determine the fee.
- You should have the complete names and addresses of all defendants. At the hearing, you should have all of the evidence in support of your claim and any witnesses should be present.
If you are filing against a business, it is suggested that you contact the Secretary of State to verify the following:
- Proper name of the business
- Proper name of the owner(s) of the business as registered with the Secretary of State’s office
- Is there a statutory agent
Our clerks can assist you with your claim between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:30 pm, Monday thru Friday.
If you are filing by mail, you must send along with the filing the following:
- Additional copies of your small claim for all parties listed in your case.
- Payment for the small claim (cash, check or money order)
- A stamped self addressed envelope so we can send you a time stamped copy with your hearing date affixed and your payment receipt.